Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dogs as Socialization Agents

If I've learned on thing in the last four months, I've learned that a great way to make new friends is by getting a dog. One of my co-workers said to me, "Dogs and kids are both socialization agents."

That much is certainly true. I've met and befriend a lot of people in my neighborhood who I had never even talked to before. Lucy is a friend creator. People love her. Of course, it helps that she is a super friendly puppy who wants everyone she meets to pet her.

Tonight we went to the dog park. We've been there a few times before. She loves it. She's gotten to meet lots of new dogs and tonight especially she learned to be a bit braver around other
dogs.

Of course, she still favors the small dogs to the big dogs because she's still learning that one day she'll be a big dog, too.

My best dog park memory yet is that she's learned to be a brave dog and, true to her breed, swim! (See photo.)

My friend Lisa half-jokingly says that I'm going to meet my husband at a dog park. It's funny because now my dog park trips are not only about allowing Lucy to run off some energy, but also about my glancing at the left hands of attractive men to see if I should attempt to strike up a conversation. (To date, I've struck out.)

Dogs certainly are socialization agents. I now wonder... are they marriage agents? If so, Lucy will most certainly take part in the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment