Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Learning to Write a Novel

I write a lot. I love to write. I also love to read. So, taking on the challenge of writing a novel is a lot of fun. I'm actually really loving my premise.

However, I'm really not digging what I've written so far. I decided to just title it as a prologue for now. I like the idea of the story. I don't like how I'm pulling it together.

It feels too introductory. Like "Dear reader: meet Andrea and Patty."

I think it's more like "Dear writer: meet Andrea and Patty."

I think there are bits I need. I think there are bits that may be more helpful later in the novel instead. So, for now, it's a prologue. I'll fix it later. I have 49,000 words to go. No time to worry about it now.

I keep reminding myself, not to self-edit along the way. I can go back and fix my prologue at the end. Or maybe delete part of it or all of it.

Just getting the thoughts on paper and characters more fleshing out the characters more fully has been part of my initial challenge in taking part in NanNoWriMo. Lesson for next year: figure that out before November 1.

The last few days have been really busy. Tomorrow I need to make up for lost time. In theory, I need to crank out 3,000 words to be on track. This task is going to be tougher than I thought. But, I'm dedicated. I can do it!

Happy NaNoWriMo 2010. I'm curious to hear how others are doing.

2 comments:

  1. I figured out how many chapters I needed. It is helping me to break down how much information I need for the topic of that chapter and therefore how many pages. It helps set goals and makes it seem a little less daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great idea! I'm breaking mine down by the two characters voices. It's helping go a little bit out of order if I need to. I'm also hoping it will help as I get into because I want a lot of this to be solved by their childhood memories/childhood voices. I think that will add an interesting element to the storyline.

    It's fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete