Friday, November 12, 2010

Nano: Day 12

I wasn't feeling too inspired when I sat down to write today. I had to crank through one of my regular journalistic assignments before getting back to my creative outlet. I got that done, managed a quick work out and then came back to my computer.

I knew I was at a crux. There were important words to write. How was I going to shape this next step in the novel? What were my characters going to learn if anything?

It came slow today. But suddenly, as happens with these things, a few major plot lines came together. I suddenly knew what clues I'd made up along the way meant. And it developed. Stewed a bit. And developed further and deeper. I had found another major crux in the mystery, perhaps the most important one. I knew some of what my characters were battling, but not the why this has happened to them. These things come in waves.

To be honest, I still don't fully know the why them. But I do know why I made one of my characters a murder and what she was protecting. And I have what I think will be a major plot twist to pull out at the end. And I really like it.

To be honest, I'm a bad secret keeper. Really bad. I want to tell everyone everything. But I have people who love me (or at least give a damn about me) who want to read my book. And I can't say, "here's what I think I'm going to make happen at the end." That kind of ruins it, right? So that's kind of hard. But it forces me to find my inner ability to keep a secret.

I'm still behind on word count from losing those few days, but am catching up.

Oh, and I have a title. Rosa Unchained. I googled it just in case. The only thing I could find was some Latin song.

Oh and no, for those of you following the plot loosely, Rosa is not the name of the grandmother. Rosa is an undefined character that will make sense upon reading. But not, I hope, until the end.

Happy Nano-ing to all those still holding out to write a novel in a month. I still aspire to be among those at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment