Saturday, April 2, 2011

Signs of Spring

Spring is finally around the corner. It's so near. I can hardly wait. I'm ready to get outside and plant flowers and enjoy warm, breezy walks. Spring is near. Yes, spring is finally near!

I feel like Minnesotans crave and appreciate spring in a way that our southern neighbors can't understand. It's our reward for again have survived the dead of winter, the below-zero temperatures, the snow, the ice, the scraping cars. It's a God-given gift that yes, we can again appreciate warm days, smmer clothes and summer food and drinks.

This year it is more true than ever. It's been a long, cold and very snowy winter. (Minnesota had nearly record-breaking snow fall, I think around roughly 60 total inches of snow this winter based on what I've found). Now with that said, I don't want to dwell the long, cold winter we are exiting. Instead I want to focus on the signs that spring is near. The signs that good days are ahead.

Sign 1: Summer beverages.

Sangria is just around the corner. Soon, I'll switch back to ice tea as my drink of choice. Lemonade will soon sound delicious again. To welcome in spring, I've already enjoyed margaritas and summer beer, Bud Light Lime (while I'm not a huge fan of regular Bud Light, I do love it with a touch of lime in it.)
Sign 2: Summer food.

Last night my mom, sister and I watched the Twins home opener, accompanied by a dinner of brats and pasta salad. Months of grilling are ahead. Ahh summer days. Ahh, summer food.

And speaking of the Twins, that leads me to sign 3...

Sign 3: Baseball.

Ahh, the American past time. I've already commented on how happy it makes me.

Sign 4: Open Windows

Today was the first day I could open a window. It was only in the mid-50s, but my cat was begging for a chance to sit in the window, so I gave in. (Of course, he's so spoiled, it doesn't take much for me to give in.) The little bit of, albeit cool, fresh air felt great after many months of cabin fever.

Sign 5: Flower buds.

I can already see my tulips and lily of the valley coming up. Soon there will be flowers! Soon there will be flowers! (The photo below was taken a few weeks ago. While there is still snow, there is significantly less now.)
Sign 6: Warm weather.

It's coming. I finally believe it's coming. Happy spring! Happy summer! Happy warm weather!


No comments:

Post a Comment