Sunday, April 17, 2011

Meet Lucy Rose!

So, today I brought home a six-week old puppy. She's absolutely adorable. I am already in love. Be ready, for those of you who read my blog, to get puppy updates-- and lots of them!

So, how did I get here? It's a bit spontaneous, but something I've thought about for a long time!

My sister sent me a text late Friday afternoon that a co-worker's brother had a puppies he was giving away for free to good homes. Erin texted me to see if I wanted one, not really sure if I'd even say yes, but she knew I'd been thinking about getting a dog a lot more seriously lately. Something clicked, I said, "Yes, absolutely, I want one!" So, yesterday we bought supplies and today we went and picked her up. (It was a bit haywire trying to arrange meeting the guy with the dogs, but we made it.) And tonight, I know have a new family member

As I said, I've wanted a dog for a long time, but never really felt like it was the right time. I also knew I really wanted a dog with at least some Labrador in it (I grew up with a beagle, then a yellow Labrador). And, somehow, this weekend, I found just that. My new puppy, Lucy Rose, is half Labrador and half golden retriever. And 100% adorable.

For those who may recognize a name resemblance, yes, Lucy Rose is named in honor of Maggie Rose, the yellow Labrador I grew up with who is now playing baseball in heaven with Grandpa and Uncle Maurice. In my mind, she's perfect. (But maybe that's because she has yet to pee in the house!)

I know puppies are a lot of work, and I'm excited to dedicate a lot of time to training her to be the best dog she can be. I am very excited. I've already learned the cycle of a puppy: sleep, play, eat, pee/poop, play, sleep, repeat!

As soon as I said I'm bring a puppy home, many asked about how my cat, Henry, would adapt. I'm sure he'll be fine, but right now, it's weird and new for him. He is slowly adjusting. I hope the two will become good friends. The best of friends. So far he hasn't swatted her nose, so I figure we're off to a good start! I say only half jokingly that I feel like I'm preparing myself for having kids and learning to bring a baby home from the hospital and helping their older sibling adapt!

So, fun and happy are my words of the day. I think Lucy Rose is just what the proverbial doctor ordered!

If you have a moment, enjoy a Lucy Rose slideshow with guest star Henry Thomas!


No comments:

Post a Comment