Friday, February 17, 2012

Book Review: Shiver

Book: Shiver

Author: Maggie Stiefvater


My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars


Brief synopsis:

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.

 My review: 



I really liked this book. Really liked this book. Didn't love this book, but really liked it. It's like a relationship. It's good enough for a second date (Linger), and I'm sure a third (Forever). It's a fun, light, romance. It has the elements that make for a good, light-hearted young adult, science fiction romance. Now, this may be the Team Jacob coming out in me, but I loved these main characters together. I liked that Grace and Sam felt mature, likeable and fun. I like that they seemed to have some beyond-this-world connection to each other. I liked that they had a friendship as much as they had a relationship. And, best I can tell, and granted, I haven't read the second and third books yet, I'm fairly certain Grace isn't so stupid as to jump off any damn cliffs for Sam. 


In short, read it. It's fun. It's quick (I read it in a day). It's what I think makes young adult a great genre... even for old, young adults like me. 


I'm currently working on more Evanovich and Blindness for BYOB's March Gathering. And, to date, 10 books toward the 50 I'm shooting for in 2012.

Happy reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment