Sunday, February 13, 2011

Museum Tour 2011: Museum 2: Science Museum of Minnesota

Yesterday I made it to my second museum on my 2011 museum tour-- one I've been to several times before with a date who hadn't yet visited the "new" science museum. (Note: it was built in 1999). So, we chose to spend a few hours of our Saturday afternoon touring the Science Museum of Minnesota. While the museum wasn't new to me, I was glad to bring a date along to a museum that was new to him.

I think my favorite part of the day (other than the great company) was watching all the children and families at the museum. There were a lot of darn cute kids at the museum yesterday, who fully entertained me with their big wondrous eyes and heads undoubtedly full of imagination.

At its best, the museum really is made to educate kids about science-- and it does a great job at that. And being with a science teacher, I learned a few things myself. (Or maybe re-learned; I suppose I could try to to play "are you smarter than a fifth grader?" for validation in that.)

For those looking for a leisurely afternoon wandering around and enjoying the exhibits and people watching, the Science Museum is a great choice. If you are interested in going sometime soon, the Science Museums is opening a special exhibit on Tutankhamen in a few days, and while I doubt I will make it back for it, I'm sure it will be really interesting. Due to the increased media coverage of Egypt lately, I hope it will spike more people's interests to see their exhibit. (But that's just the PR person in me-- current events usually are a good way to draw interest in a subject matter.)

I think next month I take in art museum-- likely the Minneapolis Institute of Art, which currently has an exhibit on Titian, as well as The Mourners, which my friend Lisa told me is amazing. Who wants to be my date next month?

No comments:

Post a Comment