Sunday, January 9, 2011

Recipe Box: BBQ Turkey Chili

My sister just asked me for this recipe today so I thought I'd share it with others, too. This is a delicious and healthy recipe I got from my friend Natalie. It's also a really healthy option for those, like me, who've again set New Year's weight loss resolutions.

What I think makes it great is sprinkling a bit of fresh cilantro on top!

Natalie's BBQ turkey chili
  • 1-2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1-2 lb ground turkey (or beef)
  • 1 palmful grill seasoning (such as Lawry's)
  • 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
  • 1 palmful chili powder
Brown the meat in the olive oil. Once browned, add the grill seasoning, chili powder and worcestershire sauce and mix. Then add:
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped (any color)
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2-4 (12-15 oz.) cans beans, drained (any type - I like to mix and match)
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped (or one can, drained)
  • 1 can tomato sauce (12-15 oz.)
  • 1/2-1 bottle beer (any type, but I prefer medium to dark)
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce
Mix and let simmer for an hour or two (or whatever you have time for. It does, however, get better with age.) Serve with chips or cornbread, sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro (cilantro can also be added to chili towards the end of cooking time).

No comments:

Post a Comment