Saturday, June 2, 2012

Learning to Love David Sedaris

So, I've been going to the library. A lot. New Brighton has a brand new library within walking distance of my house. I. Love. It. I swear, I'm there nearly weekly as of late. It's just so convenient!

So, as part of my frequent library trips I've chosen to pick up some David Sedaris on audio book. I knew he read his own books and that made me happy. I love it when authors read their own books (especially memoirs).

Mostly, I've taken to downloading the books into Itunes and then popping them into my Ipod, providing me a humorous personal companion while I walk the dog. On our morning and evening walks, Lucy would be filled with the delight of the sounds and smells of our neighborhood and I'd be filled with the delight of a  happy dog with a wagging tale and humorous Sedaris stories.

I started with "Me Talk Pretty One Day," but wish I had started with either "Naked" or "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim," simply because I really love the stories Sedaris shares about his family so much and, while his stories of learning French were fairly amusing, I really disliked some of his stories in "Me Talk Pretty One Day" that talked about the height of his drug use (hanging out with people who have a chair made of hair? That's just gross and uncomfortable to me, not funny). But, stories of his family and their antics growing up are  hilarious. I often found myself laughing out loud at these.

In moving from "Me Talk Pretty One Day" to "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim," I also shifted from listening in the car (the first) to listening on a walk with the dog (as I've done with the rest). I think, honestly, the format of listening while going on a relaxing walk, rather than while driving, also made me like them better.

I think that's the beauty of Sedaris' books. While,  his family is certainly a lot different than mine, he's still very relateable in that every family has crazy stories and often they are around the simplest things (a family dinner, a crazy neighbor, etc.). It makes me (as a writer), look back on the funny stories that have happened in my life and learn to tell them in a new way. I love how he'll often start with one short story, that will lead into a longer, more elaborate tale to fill the chapter. He quite cleverly weaves these tales together.

So, maybe I'll make part of this blog tales of crazy stories from my family. I've been meaning to write the story of my (crazy-ish) friend's bridal shower I threw that included an unexpected visiting from a snapping turtle. Maybe I'll work on weaving that tale into here later this weekend...

I've got to get back to blogging more. I've been slow as of late. My excuse? Reading. A lot. To date in 2012, I've read 28 books and listened to six audio books (five of which are Sedaris).

But, inspired by Sedaris and Jen Lancaster (just read her first book "Bitter is the New Black," more to come on her later after I've read a few more), I'm going to try to blog more and capture some more fun and entertaining stories.

For those who haven't read Sedaris, but want to, based on what I've read so far, this is my recommended order of reading (or listening to on audio book, which I highly recommend):

I've read (and I recommend):

  • Naked 
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim 
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day 
  • When You are Engulfed in Flames 


Yet for me to read (listen to):

  • Barrel Fever 
  • Holidays on Ice 
  • Live for Your Listening Pleasure


I just say skip this all together:

  • Squirrel Meets Chipmunk
More to come soon, friends! 



1 comment: