Tuesday, September 20, 2011

BYOB Book Review: The Wrong Mother

Last night I hosted my first book club meeting. We met at my house and enjoyed lovely conversation over a book we, as a general consensus, found... well, just ok.  Per usual, here are my thoughts:

Brief synopsis: 

Sally Thorning is watching the news with her husband when she hears an unexpected name-Mark Bretherick. It's a name she shouldn't know, but last year Sally treated herself to a secret vacation-away from her hectic family life-and met a man. After their brief affair, the two planned to never meet again. But now, Mark's wife and daughter are dead-and the safety of Sally's own family is in doubt. Sophie Hannah established herself as a new master of psychological suspense with her previous novel, Little Face. Now with accomplished prose and a plot guaranteed to keep readers guessing, The Wrong Mother is Hannah's most captivating work yet.

My rating: 3 stars

Group rating: 3 stars

We created 1-5 ranking scale and this one landed at a 3, middle of the road.I'm going to defer to Michelle at Red Headed Book Child, who is an amazing book reviewer fir her official review of "The Wrong Mother."

My review: 

My quick personal take is, I was really excited about this book, but in the end, mostly disappointed. I thought it would be more gripping and it kept me going (mostly) until about the middle of the book, where upon I just gave up on it for many of the reasons Michelle notes in her review. 

Thanks, BYOB Book clubbers!

However, on a positive note, I'd like to say thanks to all the amazing women who joined me for the discussion last night. It is so exciting to have such a great group to discuss books with! And I loved having a chance to host each of them.

We had 12 wonderful ladies at the first meeting! And the total group has 15 wonderful women in it. We're going to overwhelm each others homes every other month as we all squeeze together to chat literature for a couple hours, but I think it will be great! I never could have imagined that my Facebook post seeking just a couple friends to join a book club with me would have led to such a great group! Wow!

Upcoming read:

We will meet every other month (which I think is plenty!) and will next read, Loving Frank by Nancy Horan, a book that has been on my to-read list for some time now. We'll meet in November and celebrate all that fall has to offer when we gather again! Between, now and then, happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment